2020 Criteria and Guidelines
These guidelines offer general guidance and are not a guarantee of application acceptance to Love United Iredell. Each application is evaluated on its potential value to Iredell County; the quality of planning, leadership, support and vision expressed; and the relative need for the program proposed.
- Nonprofit must be classified as a 501c3 by IRS, be in good standing with the state and IRS, and not be in violation of any applicable state or federal law, ordinance or regulation.
- Have a physical mailing address or location and provide service within Iredell County, North Carolina.
- Only one project per nonprofit agency may be applied for.
- Funds must have a local impact and be used within 6 months.
- Individuals may not submit applications for this campaign. Any individual who wishes to be a part of this campaign must find and recruit a related fully qualified nonprofit take you on as their only fundraising initiative. Nonprofit agencies must complete all application materials and requirements on the individuals’ behalf. The nonprofit will receive the direct payment and be responsible for direct payment of service/product. Reimbursement and questions directly to the individual will not be allowed.
Proceeds from Love United Iredell will go to the organizations that meet the above criteria. Please keep in mind that the mission of the United Way of Iredell County is to fight for the health, education and financial stability of every person in our community. This will be kept in mind as applications/projects are reviewed and weighted personally by the individual volunteers in the selection committee.
Preference is given to projects or programs that:
- Leverage funds in addition to any Love United Iredell matching funds (if possible)
- Are collaborative projects
- Utilize volunteers
- Demonstrate measureable outcomes
- Encourage more effective/innovative use of limited community resources
- Have a rough marketing game-plan along with key community individuals
All funded projects must be completed within six months of the funds being distributed.
United Way cannot meet every community need. After-the-fact support and operating deficits will not be eligible for consideration.
Although the deliberations and discussions of the selection committee are strictly confidential, United Way staff will share information with other individuals and agencies as needed. To assist the applicant, United Way staff may discuss general concerns and questions with the applicant if any feedback is available.
Decision-Making and Application Review Process:
Upon receipt of the completed applications, the requests will go through a community impact review process by United Way of Iredell County. The Love United Iredell Review Committee is comprised of community leaders who volunteer their time to review applications and make recommendations to the full board of directors. As a steward of community dollars, United Way requires thorough evaluations of all requests received. The evaluation process may include requests for additional information. Final decisions on all applications rest with the United Way of Iredell County Board of Directors.
Conflict of Interest Policy:
United Way of Iredell County maintains a strict conflict of interest policy for its Board, staff and volunteers to ensure independence and integrity in its recommendations. Staff and volunteers may not accept any form of compensation, gifts or favors from any organization or representative that anticipates submitting an application to United Way or that has already submitted a proposal or has received United Way funding in the past.
United Way of Iredell County requires accountability and transparency in all aspects of our operations. Organizations selected will be required to complete an outcome report form no later than six months after the distribution of payments for projects. In addition to the requested information please consider including any additional information or material that you feel is relevant to the project. Consider including pictures of the event, news or media coverage and testimonials from participants. Completed reports will be submitted electronically to United Way.
For any additional questions please reach out to Sara Lewis
at SLewis@UWIredell.org or 704-872-3000.